Friday, July 17, 2015

Oh Crap on a Stick

Yesterday as I was tending to my garden and debating about when to check my garlics. They haven't been looking good for a month now. I wasn't sure if they were dying or reacting to something in the dirt.  I watched a couple of videos on Youtube to see when to harvest garlics. They just informed that once the foliage starts dying back to dig them up. My foliage was limp and somewhat yellowing at the tips.

The garlic stalks on the videos looked nothing like my poor wilted puny garlic stalks. I was bummed at the possiblilty they didn't form bulbs. Sure enough, I dug them up and nothing. Only a small little bump at the end then some roots.

I watched more videos with expert garlic growers and found out I had planted them all wrong. I guess they need a cold spell before they will grow properly. Next month or in September I will retry perhaps with some elephant garlic if I can find some.

I did just throw them in dirt without research, I wanted to see if they would grow at all and they did. Just not in the fashion I was hoping.

I did use the puny garlic stalks I dug up and cooked up a rack of pork spareribs with them. My house smelled so yummy :)

So all was not lost :)

I would post a pic but I didn't think about grabbing my phone. My hands were dirty, they way I like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment