Sunday, August 9, 2015

All Things Wool!

I have become a wool/ yarn enthusiast, well the enthusiasm occurred two years ago. I'm no expert BUT what I do know I accomplish with to the best of my abilities.

I spin yarn, I dye yarn and I create cool useful things with it. I, like many people who share in the love of yarn, have open a shop to sell what I love.

I started my hobby just crocheting simple things and to keep my hands busy. After retiring from the Air Force I found myself becoming antsy and generally upset over the lack of things to do.

I became OCD over the house, the lawn and my car. Back then I lived in a suburban wasteland, no real space or ambition to do much. It took too much planning to get places in San Antonio, especially as far out as we lived. My daughter came home after spending vacation with her grandparents. Her aunt visited her and taught her how to crochet. She then taught me how to do it.

Over time it evolved to dyeing my yarns to selling them when I could. I also took up spinning which was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I still need to learn to be more consistent with thickness but I will get it eventually.

Being able to create your own blankets, hats, scarves and socks can bring a sense of empowerment. Creating something from raw materials means not being dependent on retail stores and malls nor paying hundreds of dollars for something you can easily teach yourself how to make. Perks of being about to do this is making what you want the way you want it to look for a lot less than  you would pay from a mall. Well probably not cheaper than Walmart or Target but you can make things that have your inspiration made reality. Also, yes, you can find cheaper in those stores I mentioned but how long would it last? Would it survive long enough to pass down to loved ones? Would your family appreciate that handmade scarf less than one you bought from a store? If the answer is yes, then keep it all to yourself LOL. Or sell!

Here is the link to my shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/JumpingCowCat

I will have new inventory soon!
















2 comments:

  1. All the fluffy smooshness! So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, knowing how to do this means you are automatically on the List of Human Assets during the zombie apocalypse, or the end times in general. You have become more useful than, say, Bob in accounting!

    ReplyDelete